The Port Aransas Ferry System - Free transportation service is provided seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day. The ferry connects Mustang Island and Port Aransas with the mainland via Aransas Pass. Here are some facts you should know before taking the ferry across to the Island.
- There are 6 ferry boats - the amount in service depends on demand.
- Each vessel can carry twenty regular passenger vehicles on each trip.
- Each vessel can move 100 vehicles per hour.
- During peak hours, especially during holidays and summer months, some travelers may experience a wait while the ferry makes the trip back and forth across the channel.
- A 24-hour radio message advisory (AM 530) provides information on ferry regulations and can be used for live broadcasts in case of emergencies.
- Total overall length (for combined vehicles such as a car and boat) is 85 feet.
- Maximum allowed width is 96 inches.
- Maximum allowed height is 13 feet 6 inches in.
Peak months are June, July and August, however, March can be busy with those celebrating Spring Break and the winter months can also be busy with an influx of "Winter" residents.